Tell Your Story Today...
Isn't it time you finally told the story inside your heart? Within this course I will explain how to organize and begin writing a short story, novella, or novel. The concepts are the same for each form. The number of balls you need to keep in the air and for how long is the only thing that differs.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad.
-- Lord Byron
Learn the Components of Successful Storytelling...
Plot, character, and place. Learn how to juggle them all like a professional. Learn how to discipline yourself to put the first words on the page. Learn the even greater discipline required to put the last words on the page.
The thing about writing is that you never stop learning and improving your craft, and a review of the basics is helpful even to an established, USA Today bestselling author like myself. Jackson's deceptively simple course on writing a first novel is concise, and covers crucial points that every writer should know and constantly keep in mind. I especially enjoyed his advice on handling writer's block and its causes; I am guilty of reason #3. Sigh. A useful course, even for those who think they don't need it.
-- Lisa Cach, USA Today Bestselling author of the "1,001 Erotic Nights" series
For the Storyteller, There is no Greater Joy...
All your life, you've carried this story with you. Perhaps uncertain or fearful of rejection. But there is no burden greater than carrying an untold story.
A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.
Your All in One Source for the Inspiration and Technique Required to Tell Your Story...
This is your call to arms. Tell your story now before it's lost forever...
What students will learn:
- To become a better writer
- To begin writing today
- A PC or Mac
- Microsoft Word
- A rudimentary understanding of English grammar
- Anyone needing to tell their story
- Introduction to Finding Your Style
- Storytelling Basics
- Mode of Narration
- Plotters vs Pansters
- Discovering Your Personal Writing Style
- Finding Your Style Section Project
- Summary of Finding Your Style
- Introduction to Preparing to Write
- Pinterest Notes
- Research Using Pinterest
- Setting Up Word
- Outlining with Index Cards
- Outlining with MS Word (2018 Extension)
- Preparing to Write Section Project
- Summary of Preparing to Write
- Introduction to Beginning to Write
- When, Where, and How
- Keeping a Journal
- Choosing the Right Word
- Standard Story Arcs and Character Archetypes
- Beginning to Write Section Project
- Summary of Beginning to Write
- Introduction to Writing
- Where to Begin Your Story
- Writer's Block
- Writing Section Project
- Summary of Writing
- Introduction to Editing
- Proofreading Your Work
- Waterfall vs Spiral Editing
- Dealing with Word Repetition (2018 Addendum)
- Editing Resources (2017 Addendum)
- Editing Section Project
- Summary of Editing
- Introduction to Advanced Writing Skills
- Foreshadowing, Symbolism, Red Herrings and Plot Twists
- Writing Authentic Dialog
- Tension and Suspense: Building Dread
- Show Don't Tell
- Character and Backstory Development
- World Building
- Writing Conflict and Fight Scenes
- Writing Romantic Scenes
- Writing Scary Scenes
- Including Side Stories
- Writing By Deconstructing What's Popular
- Advanced Writing Skills Section Project
- Summary of Advanced Writing Skills
- Introduction to Self-publishing
- Summary of My Self-publishing Process
- Book Length, Series and Price
- Book Covers: You Have Several Options
- Summary of My Self-publishing Courses
- Self-publishing Section Project
- Summary of Self-publishing
- Introduction to Writing Sessions
- Writing Session: Third Person, Subjective, Past Tense, Thriller
- Writing Session: First Person, Character, Past Tense, Thriller
- Writing Sessions Section Project
- Summary of Writing Sessions
- What Now?
Author, Publisher and Educator
I was born the middle of the last century in Los Angeles, California.
After moving for a time to the Silicon Valley, I graduated from Humboldt State University amid the redwoods of Northern California.
Two weeks after graduation I was working as a computer systems programmer for Lockheed Missiles and Space (LMSC) back in the Silicon Valley. Two months after that and I was married as I have been happily ever since (for 38 years).
After 14 years at Lockheed I moved from working on IBM mainframes to using PCs running the Unix operating system and encountered a thing called the Internet. Cisco Systems seemed to be the right place to work, so I joined the company as their 650th employee. Eleven years later Cisco had grown to over 20,000 employees.
I retired at the age of 48 and instantly became bored!
Throughout my professional career I'd always enjoyed both writing and providing technical training. So, I attended creative writing classes at my local junior college and began to write.
I managed to write and self-publish a handful of books, but things didn't take off until my wife, Melanie Jackson, an established author with a New York company, left traditional publishing to join me in self-publishing.
In 8 years, from 2010 to now, Melanie and I have made half-a-million dollars self-publishing well over 100 books. I also managed to record a pair of audiobooks for Amazon and Audible sale.
By 2014, our rapid rise to Kindle fame had already dwindled. I decided to pursue my second passion of giving training presentations.
Since 2014 I've published over 40+ online video training courses for training sites such as Udemy and SkillShare. My goal is to provide low cost high quality screen cast based educational material focusing on my areas of expertise; namely, self-publishing and book cover design using the GIMP. I continue to expand my video training catalog while focusing some energy on resurrecting our flagging book sales using various marketing techniques. Finally, I spend a portion of my time maintaining both my website and my wife’s website, which was developed using WordPress.
I currently live in the beautiful California wine country with my lovely wife and Butterscotch the cat.
I'll see you in the classroom,
Brian Jackson 25 Course Bundle
Unlock this bundle today to start enjoying 25 Brian Jackson courses for life.
Writing and Self-publishing Forever Bundle
Unlock this bundle today for life to learn writing and self-publishing on Uthena.