Welcome to my beginners course on digital drawing using the free GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP). My name is Brian Jackson and I'm a top rated Udemy instructor of over 38 courses covering a wide range of topics from writing, self-publishing and book covers to 2D animation.
This course provides an introduction to both digital drawing using a tablet and the GIMP program. Hardware and software usage details are woven throughout lectures on fundamental drawing techniques and example drawing workshops. Each section concludes with a workshop in which all the previously discussed features are demonstrated followed by a project you can work on independently and submit for review and comment.
In an attempt to get you drawing fast, this course begins with tablet selection and installation and basic GIMP usage. That's enough to get you drawing. Then we'll add information on using layers, and digital editing.
Unlike other courses, this course assumes no former knowledge, begins at the beginning and teaches you drawing and the software rather than simply having you watch me draw (though you'll get plenty of that as well).
This course is designed for drawing and illustration enthusiasts who would like to learn how to draw digitally using a tablet and the free GIMP software product (that runs on Windows 10, Mac OS and Linux). The ideal student is someone new to digital drawing and possibly even drawing itself. Someone who has an idea trapped inside them that they need to express through a creative medium.
Thanks for your interest in GIMP digital drawing. I hope you're excited to get started. If you are, go ahead and click on the enroll button. Don't forget the 30 day money back guarantee. This should make your decision an easy one.
So, I'll see you in the classroom,
What Students Will Learn:
- Draw digital images for use in designing book covers and web graphics
- Color black and white drawings quickly and easily
- Learn the fundamentals of drawing and digital tablet use
- Share your ideas with the world
- You should be able to use a PC at a beginner level
- You should be running Windows, Mac OS or Linux (Windows 10 demonstrated)
- You will need to purchase a digital tablet (recommendations included)
- You will need to install the free GIMP software package (instructions provided)
- Anyone interested in avoiding the cost of PhotoShop
- Anyone interested in getting their feet wet in digital drawing
- Anyone on a budget needing to produce digitally drawn graphics
- Anyone wanting to take their basic GIMP knowledge to the next level
- Introduction to GIMP Fundamentals
- Installing the GIMP
- Starting the GIMP
- Screen Layout and Configuration
- New, Save, Open, Close, Export and Quit
- Simply Drawing Using a Digital Pen
- Undo and Undo History
- Finger Gestures: Zoom, Pan and Rotate
- GIMP Fundamentals Workshop
- GIMP Fundamentals Section Project
- Conclusion GIMP Fundamentals
- Introduction to Drawing Using Layers
- What Are Layers?
- Adding, Moving, Copying, Deleting, Renaming and Grouping Layers
- Reference Images and Tracing
- Background Layers and Gradients
- Two Layer Mask Applications
- Drawing Using Layers Section Project
- Conclusion to Drawing Using Layers
- Introduction to Digital Drawing and Editing
- Selecting, Deleting, Moving, Copying, Resizing and Rotating
- Drawing Straight Lines
- Drawing Rectangles, Squares, Ovals and Circles
- Creating Picture Frames and Matting Your Work
- Digital Drawing and Editing Workshop
- Digital Drawing and Editing Section Project
- Conclusion to Digital Drawing and Editing
- What's Next?
Author, Publisher and Educator
I was born the middle of the last century in Los Angeles, California.
After moving for a time to the Silicon Valley, I graduated from Humboldt State University amid the redwoods of Northern California.
Two weeks after graduation I was working as a computer systems programmer for Lockheed Missiles and Space (LMSC) back in the Silicon Valley. Two months after that and I was married as I have been happily ever since (for 38 years).
After 14 years at Lockheed I moved from working on IBM mainframes to using PCs running the Unix operating system and encountered a thing called the Internet. Cisco Systems seemed to be the right place to work, so I joined the company as their 650th employee. Eleven years later Cisco had grown to over 20,000 employees.
I retired at the age of 48 and instantly became bored!
Throughout my professional career I'd always enjoyed both writing and providing technical training. So, I attended creative writing classes at my local junior college and began to write.
I managed to write and self-publish a handful of books, but things didn't take off until my wife, Melanie Jackson, an established author with a New York company, left traditional publishing to join me in self-publishing.
In 8 years, from 2010 to now, Melanie and I have made half-a-million dollars self-publishing well over 100 books. I also managed to record a pair of audiobooks for Amazon and Audible sale.
By 2014, our rapid rise to Kindle fame had already dwindled. I decided to pursue my second passion of giving training presentations.
Since 2014 I've published over 40+ online video training courses for training sites such as Udemy and SkillShare. My goal is to provide low cost high quality screen cast based educational material focusing on my areas of expertise; namely, self-publishing and book cover design using the GIMP. I continue to expand my video training catalog while focusing some energy on resurrecting our flagging book sales using various marketing techniques. Finally, I spend a portion of my time maintaining both my website and my wife’s website, which was developed using WordPress.
I currently live in the beautiful California wine country with my lovely wife and Butterscotch the cat.
I'll see you in the classroom,
Brian Jackson 25 Course Bundle
Unlock this bundle today to start enjoying 25 Brian Jackson courses for life.
GNU Image Manipulation (GIMP-Blender) Forever Bundle
Unlock this bundle today for life to learn GNU image manipulation (GIMP) on Uthena.