This is a zero to hero course on Microsoft SQL Databases and Querying. There are no pre-requisites for this course. If you are looking to get acquainted with the concept of Databases and Queries then this is the right course for you.
We will explore best practices in database development using SQL Server Express 2017 and will be building a small school management system database.
All you need is a windows machine and we will walk through setting up an environment, to creating a database, creating your first table and writing queries.
At the end of this course, you should be comfortable writing queries for multiple situations and reports.
What you’ll learn
Install SQL Server
Install SQL Management Studio
Connect to an Instance
Create a database
Run Queries against Tables
General use of the Management Studio
Use Aggregate functions to do quick mathematical operations
Export data to Excel using the Management Studio
Practical use of SQL
Are there any course requirements or prerequisites?
A Windows PC (or Windows running on a Virtual Machine if using Linux/Mac)
Who this course is for:
This course is for beginners with absolutely no experience is database.
This course is for you if you are already comfortable with basic database operations.
This course is for you if you feel a bit 'rusty' and need to refresh your knowledge.
This course is for you if you want to understand design principles in database development.
This course is for you if you are proficient in Microsoft Access and want to learn a new Database Management System
- Introduction to SQL Server and Databases FREE PREVIEW
- Download and Install SQL Server Express 2017 FREE PREVIEW
- Connect to Database Instance and Create a Database
- Drop or Remove Database
- What is a Database Table?
- Create an SQL Database Table
- Insert Data into the Table with SQL Script
- Insert Data into the Table with Management Studio
- Select Data from the Table with SQL Script
- More Advanced Select Queries Part 1
- Update Data in the Table
- Update Data in the Table with Management Studio GUI
- Delete Data from the Table with SQL Script
- Delete Data from the Table with Management Studio GUI
- What are Relationships, Foreign Keys and Normalization
- Create a Relationship in SQL Server
- Insert Records in Related Tables
- Run Queries on Related Tables (Inner Joins)
- Left, Right and Full Joins
- Grouping Data using SQL GROUP BY Clause
- SQL AVG Aggregate Function
- SQL COUNT Aggregate Function
- SQL MAX and MIN Aggregate Functions
- SQL SUM Aggregate Function
Software Engineer and part time lecturer
I am a Software Engineer and part time lecturer.
With a Master's Degree in Computer Science, I have spent over a decade teaching Web, Software and Database Development Courses. I also have as much industry experience in Web Application Development and Azure Cloud System and Server Administration.
I enjoy teaching IT and Development courses and hope to impart the latest in industry standards and knowledge to my students.
MySQL Database Development Mastery
This is a zero to hero course on MySQL Database Server and MySQL Workbench. There are no pre-requisites for this course. If you are looking to get acquainted with the concept of Databases and Queries then this is the right course for you.