Authors, artists and entrepreneurs all need websites. How about you?
This course explains how to design and develop a Wordpress website from scratch.
Wordpress is free... and it's easy. Easy to install, easy to configure, easy to maintain.
There's no need to fear, this course will take you step-by-step through everything you need to know to implement and maintain your own Wordpress based website. In this course, you'll learn about:
- Domain name and website hosting
- Wordpress installation and configuration
- Installation of plugins and themes
- Adding pages and blog posts to your site
- Adding Facebook like and email signup forms
Using Wordpress to implement your own website provides many advantages:
- Save money by doing it yourself
- Maintain creative control of the end product
- Update your own web page, when you want and how you want
- But most of all, have fun!
So, come join me on this journey. End the course with a new website. We'll do it together.
What Students Will Learn:
- Install and maintain their own Wordpress based website
- Save money by installing and maintaining your own website
- All you need is a web browser (I demonstrate Chrome running on a Windows PC)
- You'll also need approximately $50 to register a domain name and obtain web hosting for you site for one year
- Anyone interested in creating a personal website
- Domain Name and Hosting
- Wordpress Installation
- Wordpress Administrative Interface
- Initial Website Configuration
- Choosing and Installing a Theme
- Responsive Theme Home Page Configuration
- Installing Plugins
- Configuring Pages and Posts
- Inserting Images
- Creating Your Blog Page and Primary Menu
- Configuring Your Widgets and Sidebar
- Upgrading to the Responsive II Theme
- Creating Your Other Pages
- Creating and Adding a Favicon
- Using Wordpress SEO by Yoast
- Switching Between Standard and HTML Editing Modes
- HTML Structure
- Common HTML Markup Pt. 1
- Common HTML Markup Pt. 2
- Inserting Images in HTML
- A Look at My Website and the Genesis Theme
- Installing Multiple Wordpress Websites on a Single ISP and Cheap Domain Names
- Browsing for, Selecting and Installing a Theme - The Albar Theme
- Another Example of Arcane Wordpress Theme Configuration - The Albar Theme
- What is Woo Commerce and Do I Need It?
- Initial Installation and Configuration of Woo Commerce
- More Configuration Pointers for the Albar Theme
Author, Publisher and Educator
I was born the middle of the last century in Los Angeles, California.
After moving for a time to the Silicon Valley, I graduated from Humboldt State University amid the redwoods of Northern California.
Two weeks after graduation I was working as a computer systems programmer for Lockheed Missiles and Space (LMSC) back in the Silicon Valley. Two months after that and I was married as I have been happily ever since (for 38 years).
After 14 years at Lockheed I moved from working on IBM mainframes to using PCs running the Unix operating system and encountered a thing called the Internet. Cisco Systems seemed to be the right place to work, so I joined the company as their 650th employee. Eleven years later Cisco had grown to over 20,000 employees.
I retired at the age of 48 and instantly became bored!
Throughout my professional career I'd always enjoyed both writing and providing technical training. So, I attended creative writing classes at my local junior college and began to write.
I managed to write and self-publish a handful of books, but things didn't take off until my wife, Melanie Jackson, an established author with a New York company, left traditional publishing to join me in self-publishing.
In 8 years, from 2010 to now, Melanie and I have made half-a-million dollars self-publishing well over 100 books. I also managed to record a pair of audiobooks for Amazon and Audible sale.
By 2014, our rapid rise to Kindle fame had already dwindled. I decided to pursue my second passion of giving training presentations.
Since 2014 I've published over 40+ online video training courses for training sites such as Udemy and SkillShare. My goal is to provide low cost high quality screen cast based educational material focusing on my areas of expertise; namely, self-publishing and book cover design using the GIMP. I continue to expand my video training catalog while focusing some energy on resurrecting our flagging book sales using various marketing techniques. Finally, I spend a portion of my time maintaining both my website and my wife’s website, which was developed using WordPress.
I currently live in the beautiful California wine country with my lovely wife and Butterscotch the cat.
I'll see you in the classroom,
Brian Jackson 25 Course Bundle
Unlock this bundle today to start enjoying 25 Brian Jackson courses for life.
Marketing Utilities Forever Bundle
Unlock this bundle today for life to learn marketing utilities on Uthena.